Engine Rebuild - Not 'cause I wanted to...
Ok, sometimes bad luck results in a good ending. Yes, I'm looking for the positive in this situation, because it was a pain in the butt.
Long story short, the threaded post that threads into the throttle body (carb housing) and holds the air cleaner on, came loose and fell into the throttle body where it was then sucked through the intake manifold, through the intake valve on cylinder 4, and then into the cylinder. From there it got hammered into the bottom of the head and valves by the piston but ultimately destroyed the hypereutectic piston, bent the valves and gouged the cylinder wall. What fun!!!
So, my friends and I pulled the engine and disassembled it down to the raw block. I have a local machine shop sleeve the cylinder, and repair the valves. At the same time they honed the deck, did a number of other machining procedures and balanced the rotating assembly.
While the block was away for 6 weeks getting done, I used the opportunity to rewire, repaint, and refurbish the engine bay which I had been wanting to do. So this gave me a nice open bay to work in.
When the block came back, I was able to paint block and heads with Eastwood Epoxy engine paint in bright red. It's a two part epoxy paint, but both parts are in a spray can. Pretty neat idea. Went on really well, hard finish, and looks great.
The pics below should give you an idea of the fun I've had with this, but I did in the end like how the motor and engine bay turned out. I resisted the temptation to do other performance upgrades since I had already done the heads, cam, EFI, etc and just rebuilt the motor back to where it was. It runs well again, and I'm back hitting some car shows and cruises with it.